Sunday, 12 June 2016

2-2016 Still here in Nuku Hiva

Hi from Clare,                                                                        Friday 10th June 2016

So things don't always turn out the way we plan. Last Sunday we left Nuku Hiva and foolishly I waved good-bye commenting that I would never see the island again – ha ha.
We sailed twenty five miles to the island of Ua-poa. The weather was perfect, the water 28 degrees and crystal clear. The island is very mountainous and is a favourite for rock climbers. From a distance some of the pinnacles look like big chimneys on the mountain; rather spectacular. We anchored in a lovely bay and intended staying there until the weather was right to sail to the Tuamotus. We had both manta-rays and dolphins swimming by the boat. However after two peaceful days we found ourselves heading back to Huku Hiva. Andrew had grazed his shin some five days earlier and whilst at Ua-poa his leg became very inflamed, swelled up and his temperature rose to 38.2 degrees. He wasn't feeling too well and so back to Nuku Hiva and a visit to the hospital.
The Dr said these tropical infection are very common with the Cruising Community, and prescribed a course of antibiotics and the necessary disinfectants to treat the wound; Andrew is now feeling much better.

Our water maker is only producing half as many litres per hour than it should. So Andrew has pulled it apart twice now searching for the problem. It is not the easiest piece of equipment to get to as it is installed behind the engine. So he has been head down and tail up for a couple of days and at the moment the water maker is in pieces on the dining table.
We are both hoping he has found the problem. Fortunately it has rained every day and so the water tanks are full.
Andrew with all the 'O' rings

PS the watermaker is now in full production! WOOHOO

Another problem we encountered was that the engine wouldn't start. One of the earth connections had come off. It took a bit of finding but at the time we were in calm water and not at any risk. The alternator regulator that controls the amount of power going into the batteries has died. This could have been a real problem but Tony on Tactical Directions had a spare and was happy for us to have it as Andrew has helped Tony on his boat on numerous occasions.

We were busy cleaning up the boat and somehow we managed to throw out my new Orthaheel thongs. This was a loss but not to worry I still had my Teva rubber sandals, an essential piece of kit for a yachtie. Although both soles were loose, I was running out of options and so I wore them shopping in the pouring rain. The ground was muddy and one sandal was flicking mud up the back of me. By the time I left the supermarket It was nearly fully off so I removed it and put it in my bag. When I was half way home I realised that I had lost the other sole. I retraced my steps but could not find it; now I was in real trouble. The following day, wearing the last pair of shoes I have on the boat, I went for a walk with friends. It started to rain and so we ducked for cover under the verandah of the supermarket. Low and behold there was the sole to my sandal right out the front of the supermarket. I guess I didn't find it the day before as there would have been a car parked there. I am one happy person and my sandals have been washed and waiting for repair so I can continue on my merry way. Of course I had all these really helpful suggestions like making a pair of sandals out of and old car tyre, but I didn't jump at that.

Kevin, the local Yacht Agent, and Andrew at Happy Hour

Tonight Tony on Tactical and his crew Garry and his partner Karen are coming here for drinks. Today is probably the nicest day we have had for a while so hopefully it won't rain. We are waiting for the right weather to head for the Tuamotus. At present there is a big swell coming from south of Tahiti so we will wait for that to abate.

Love Candy xx